Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Braised octopus in tomato, garlic, chilli and paprika broth



I picked up some octopus from my fishmonger, it is rich in zinc and very nutritional and I love it.
I planned on making a salad but instead opted for a braise with a rich red paprika salty and spicy broth.
This recipe is full in body, rich in flavour and tender to eat. I love to use the paprika paste from turkey, it is used to replace tomato paste in many of my recipes.

1 kg fresh octopus cut tentacles into 3 cm pieces
3 garlic cloves
3 small red chillies
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
black pepper to season
1 can tined tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 bunch oregano
2 tablespoons paprika paste (available from middle eastern supermarkets and made in turkey)

Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan keep the oil on a low heat, in a mortar and pestle pound the garlic and chilli to a paste, add to oil and gently saute, add octopus and stir, add stock and tomatoes, paprika and oregano.
Cook on low heat for 40 minutes the octopus will be be very tender serve alone or with quinoa or basmati rice

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment